Filter events

Filtered by:

No events found

{{ item.eventDate.start }} {{ item.eventDate.start }} - {{ item.eventDate.end }}


View event

No events found

{{ item.eventDate.start }} {{ item.eventDate.start }} - {{ item.eventDate.end }}


View event

Filter events

  • Home
  • Blog
  • The Joke’s On Us: Newcastle Comedy Fest Kicks Off This Weekend

The Joke’s On Us: Newcastle Comedy Fest Kicks Off This Weekend

  • 25 May 2023


We could all use a good laugh right now and there’ll be plenty to be had across Newcastle over the next few weeks with the Newcastle Comedy Festival kicking off this weekend. 

The most hilarious event on the city’s cultural calendar, is now in its fifth year and promises another fantastic line-up of some of the best stand-up comedians the country has to offer.

Of course, the jewel in the Comedy Fest crown is always the Opening Night Gala. With the likes of Tommy Little, Michael Hing, Andrew Hansen, Tom Cashman from Taskmaster Australia, Ivan Aristeguieta, Nick Cody, Chris Ryan, Nick Capper, Julia Wilson, Page Halley, and our very own Timberlina, lending their considerable comedic talents to this year’s festivities, it promises to be yet another huge affair

But there is much more comedy gold to be uncovered during the course of the festival - here are five shows that are sure to have  you rolling in the aisles! 

NIck Capper - Hold Me Closer Tiny Cancer

May 28
Newcastle Comedy Club

In 2021 comedian Nick Capper lost his testicle. He’ll never get it back again. Faced with his own mortality in the midst of a pandemic, and hurtling towards 40 years of age, Nick has decided to process his emotions in a level headed and sensible way – by writing a comedy show about losing one of his goolies.

Self described as Australia’s favourite agricultural comedian, Nick Capper’s oddball antics and off-kilter musings make him stand out from the pack, as he blends his country farm upbringing with absurd and surreal comic delivery.

Michelle Brasier - Reform

May 28
The Gallipoli Legion Club

Michelle Brasier (Shaun Micallef’s Mad As Hell, Aunty Donna, Stories From Oz) returns to the stage after a sell-out, award-winning year touring Average Bear. 

Her new show Reform is a cautionary tale of an online scam and the urge to empathise with, understand and become the emergency contacts of those who have done us wrong. 

A theatrical hour of storytelling and music once again backed musically by Tim Lancaster, promising a very silly story riddled with terrible decisions.

Osher Günsberg - NIghttime News Network National News

June 3
Gallipoli Legion Club Hamilton

You’ve seen him in the hosting role in The Bachelors, and The Masked Singer, now you can see one of Australia’s most recognised TV presenters Osher Günsberg in his very own satirical news show.

Joined by a cast of some of Australia’s best improvisers, Osher offers up a  razor-sharp one-hour satirical news show, whilst the stories are real, the news is made up. Given the 24-hour news cycle means that no two shows are ever the same, one thing will always stay true: sometimes, laughing while the world burns is an appropriate response.

Sarah Gaul - Happy At Times

June 11
Gallipoli Legion Club

Musical Comedian Sarah Gaul (star of the breakout Aussie feature film Hot Mess) is happy maybe 70 per cent of the time at best. The other 30 per cent she is *just* holding it together, clawing at the cliff face of reason, one minor inconvenience away from falling over the side. 

Her new show Happy at Times, is an hour of songs about Sarah’s inspiring journey to eke out another 5 or 10 per cent worth of happiness without the help of the wellness industry, meditation of any kind, or an actual decent night sleep.

Anthony Locascio - Heart of Darkness

17 June
Newcastle Comedy Club

Following his successful 2022 national tour of Don’t Call Me A Wog!, Australia’s premiere post-racial stand-up comedian, returns in 2023 with his new show, Heart Of Darkness.

Anthony Locascio will tell stories about the worst things he’s ever done, to make you all feel a little better/worse about the things you’ve done.

He’ll also gloat about how in love he is, and how despite the morally questionable behaviour he’s indulged in, he is fully deserving of it. And so are you.

The Newcastle Comedy Festival is on from Saturday 27 May to Saturday 24 June. Head here for tickets and more information.